Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Money Dream

So we found ourselves walking in a vast, deserted plaza in some strange city, tall buildings barely visible in the distance. An escalator led us down to a lower level, this one also vast but not quite so deserted. It seemed that Ellie went on ahead of me and I lost track of her for a while. I came upon a coffee shop and inquired if anyone had seen her, and a young man said, Yes, Ellie Blankfort is over there.

I followed the direction he indicated, into a large adjacent open-air space lined with picnic tables, and found Ellie sitting at one of them. As we walked on, she told me she had taken out another loan. I was furious. We had only recently secured our re-finance, why would we need another loan? We had already borrowed four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, I said (which is not what we owe), why would we need more money? Why had she done such a thing? Ellie answered only, because she could. I demanded to know the details, but she adamantly refused to disclose the amount, the interest, the monthly payments. I told her angrily that she would have to pay the installments out of her own bank account.

We walked on, finding ourselves now in a long, low, barn-like building, dark and musty. George--who was not our George, but some kind of small terrier--unearthed a rat and scrabbled after it. We passed another rat, this one dead, lying on its back, its white belly showing, and I hoped that George would miss it. He did, and we walked on into the end of the dream...

Your interpretations welcome. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment