Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Pleasant Evening; and a Strange Night

We enjoyed a wonderfully pleasant evening yesterday, driving down with our friends Brian and Mary to the village for dinner, indulging (myself and Brian) in the luxury of a martini as well as a glass of wine with dinner and returning, as the heat of the day waned, to the patio behind our cottage for a cigar (myself and Brian) and a glass of Grand Marnier.  Good conversation, relaxed company, a beautiful evening, what could be better?

And then this strange night: I woke up from a dream in which I was attending some art event as an invited panelist, with my usual fears of appearing in public and trying to look intelligent and well-informed.  Ellie, not on the panel but sitting close, started finding fault with me in a very public way, much to my annoyance, beginning with a complaint about  my cigar.  The panel discussion had not yet begun, and she complained that I had taken off my nice brown cashmere jacket (which I do not possess) and rolled up the sleeves of my pink shirt less tidily than she would have wanted.  Meanwhile, talk of my cigar persisted until I tried quelling the talk with a loud "Enough about me!"--to which no-one paid the slightest attention.  Then Ellie piped up with the observation that she was surprised by my use of the word "cigar", knowing me for a plain-spoken man who eschews circumlocution and everyone knew that "cigar" actually meant "penis."  At which I recall exclaiming that this was too embarrassing, and I promptly woke.

On waking, I stumbled blearily to the bathroom for an early morning pit stop and, feeling somewhat dry in the mouth--thanks, no doubt, to the martini, the wine and the Grand Marnier--fumbled under the sink for my white plastic bottle of Biotene mouthwash.  I had taken a big swallow from the bottle and was about to gargle when I realized something was seriously amiss.  I checked the bottle in the dim light and realized that instead of the mouthwash I had picked out a similar container of Eucerin moisturizing cream.  So much for early morning bleariness...

Which reminds me that we had a terrible night a couple of days ago with George the dog wakeful, watchful and restless for the entire night.  I had just been reading in the New York Times about the China earthquake and the strange behavior of the pandas shortly before the quake hit, so I had earthquakes on the mind and of course we are long overdue, here in Southern California, for another "event"... So I was convinced that George's weird behavior heralded some imminent disaster and lay awake for hours making plans for our escape and eventual survival.  In the morning, though, on awakening, I noticed that the covered plastic cup where we keep George's late night snack had remained unopened: the poor dog had been deprived of his habitual bedtime treat.  He could hardly have made his point more eloquently if he'd had the power of speech.

This morning, I woke again at ten past six and slipped out to the garden for a lengthy sit.  A truly lovely meditation, accompanied by the songs of countless birds.

Forgive all this personal stuff for a Sunday entry.  You didn't have to read it.  If you did, my thanks for your tolerance.  And blessings all around...  

No comments:

Post a Comment