Saturday, September 9, 2006

Cup Runneth Over

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full and then kept on pouring. The professor watched the cup overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in." "Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

--Paul Reps, Zen Flesh, Zen Bones

James: This is one of my favorite teachings. The tea analogy is perfect.

Switching subjects, I won my disability case. Thank-you for your thoughts and well wishes. I was sooo nervous ahead of time but I had a good meditation and thus felt relaxed going into it. I was nervous again in front of the judge but my deep breathing helped me stay focused and present. What a blessing is the Dharma!

~Peace to all beings~

No comments:

Post a Comment