Saturday, December 3, 2005

Thay's Advice on Anger


Anger is something that I deal with on a regular basis (as we all do). It is sometimes very easy to become angry because I have (historically) had a problem with patience which often leads to anger.

Anyway, I've been reading Thay's book, "Anger" and it has really helped me (as well as my meditation practice). In the book he gives a great example of how we are to take care of our anger and sit with it instead of seeking revenge on the person(s) who "made us angry."

He says:

If your house is on fire, the most urgent thing to do is to go back and try to put out the fire, not to run after the person you believe to be the arsonist. If you run after the person you suspect has burned your house, your house will burn down while you are chasing him or her. That is not wise. You must go back and put the fire out. So when you are angry, if you continue to interact with or argue with the other person, if you try to punish her, you are acting exactly like someone who runs after the arsonist while everything goes up in flames.

I do not always do this wise practice but I have come a long way since I have started on the path of the dharma.

This is a great teaching and something I have really engrained in my mind for future reference when the fires of anger pop up.

PHOTO: "James" meditating on our most recent vacation to Hawaii (I was a lot skinnier then but everything must change! Tis' the nature of existence).

-Peace to all beings-

No comments:

Post a Comment