Tuesday, January 3, 2006

The Miracle of Mindfulness


Mindfulness is the miracle by which we master and restore ourselves. Consider, for example: a magician who cuts his body into many parts and places each part in a different region--hands in the south, arms in the east, legs in the north, and then by some miraculous power lets forth a cry which reassembles whole every part of his body. Mindfulness is like that--it is the miracle which can call back in a flash our dispersed mind and restore it to wholeness so that we can live each minute of life.

-Thich Nhat Hanh, "Miracle of Mindfulness"

James's comment: This is exactly what I need to hear today after yesterday's depression and feeling not very spiritual. "Mindfulness is the miracle by which we master and restore ourselves."

The Buddha said the following regarding mindfulness which is recorded in the Sutta Satipatthana:

According to the text, it is 'the direct path to the attainment of purity, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the end of pain and grief...for the realization of nibbana'.

Present moment, wonderful moment, Only moment.

I had a beautifully healing meditation this morning. I was at peace and in the moment with each sweet breath. I was feeling deep and calming interconnectivity to you all, the great teachers, the countless Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and everything that exists and does not exist. I knew that many of you are in a good place and since I am apart of you then I am in that good place as well. My feeling of isolation and fear was just that -- fear. I was safe and grounded all a long. I just needed the bell of mindfulness to clear away the fog and leave the bright reality of the clear and present mind behind.

Speaking of the mindfulness bell I was listening to a dharma talk by Thay after my meditation. I was especially struck with his gatha about inviting the bell. It goes like this:

Body, space and mind in perfect Oneness.
I send my heart along with the sound of this bell.
May the hearers awaken from their forgetfulness and transcend the path of anxiety and sorrow.

Upon hearing the bell the hearer is to say to themselves:

I listen, listen deeply this wonderful sound brings me back to my true home.

I substituted my name in with the gatha about inviting the bell to go like this:

Body, space and mind in perfect Oneness.
I send my heart along with the sound of this bell.
May James awaken from his forgetfulness and transcend the path of anxiety and sorrow.

This was a powerful revelation for me. I've "heard" this gatha before but I had not truly heard it with the ears of mindfulness until now.

The other teaching that is critical to our/my progress is that of impermanence (thanks Gareth for the reminder). Expecting to climb the mountain of samsara without thinking I would be blown around in the wind from time to time is to live and attach to a delusion.

Just because I have experienced a strong wind during one moment along this path does not mean that all moments will be windy. I must push on and realize that the wind will eventually die down. Just because I experience a gust of wind does not mean I should throw the entire path away and turn back.

-Peace to all beings-

No comments:

Post a Comment