Thursday, April 14, 2005

All in the Same Boat

We feel we're supposed to be better than we are in some way. But with this practice you take yourself completely as you are. Then ironically, taking in pain - breathing it in for yourself and all others in the same boat as you are - heightens your awareness of exactly where you're stuck.

Pema Chodron

This is an important thing for me to remember. I often think that I have to be perfect in my practice and that everyone else is further along then I am. This is my ego jumping and mucking things up. Everyone is at a different point in their practice but we are all struggling against the ego on some level. It is important to accept yourself the way that you are so that you can relate to others and their struggles as we discussed yesterday. Knowing that everyone is struggling does indeed allow me to look more clearly into my own practice and see what catches me the most often.

This is one of the reasons why I think that the sangha is so important. It allows us to exchange experiences and help each other remove the blocks in our way. Where I have a weakness someone may have a strength and vice versa.

We can not advance very far in our practice alone.

-Peace to you all-

No comments:

Post a Comment