Thursday, April 21, 2005

Butterflies, Flowers and Garbage



Took this picture on our walk around the local hospital. This beautiful, blooming tree was full of these soft, fluttering butterflies and so I decided to return with my camera and snap some pictures. The butterfly is so delicate and beautiful and yet it's life span is so short. This reminds me that everything (no matter how beautiful) will pass away and that makes the beauty of the butterfly that much more precious.

The sweet smells of these little flowers was so delightful it is no wonder that these trees were swarmed by these wonderful, little creatures. Their attraction to these flowers also reminded me off our interconnected nature and it made me smile.

So I thought I would share these pictures and thoughts with you.

I also thought I would share a couple of quotes with you:

Let us not talk of karma, but simply of responsibility toward the whole world.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama, "Imagine All the People"

Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok, with permission of Wisdom Publications, 199 Elm St., Somerville MA 02144 U.S.A, www.wisdompubs.org.


Gloriousness and wretchedness need each other. One inspires us, the other softens us.

-Pema Chodron

This reminds me of what I heard Thich Nhat Hanh say last night in his Dharma talk (we ordered a couple of his talks from Deer Park) on "The Four Noble Truths." To put it short, he mentions how we can not have flowers without garbage and gabage without flowers. So, we should not beat ourselves up over the garbage in our life but instead use it to grow flowers! :)


-Peace to you all-

No comments:

Post a Comment