Thursday, May 12, 2005

Collecting Pieces of Information

We should not merely expend all our energy collecting pieces of information, but make an effort to experience their validity through insight in our daily life.

-Geshe Rabten, in Advice From a Spiritual Friend

Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok. Reprinted with permission by arrangement with Wisdom Publications, 199 Elm St., Somerville MA 02144 U.S.A, www.wisdompubs.org.

James's Comment: In other words, avoid spiritual materialism. This is an obstacle that I often come across.

I LOVE to learn but often times I find myself reading books instead of actually sitting on the cushion to meditate. It is sometimes easy for me to get "caught up" with ideas in my "mind" instead of just breathing or going for a mindful walk to take in the fluid aspect of nature.

At times my "mind" attempts to make the teachings of the Buddha a lot more complicated then they really are. Concentrating on knowing a bunch of information gleened from the suttras and books written by noble teachers. I catch myself memorizing "teachings" in hopes of being more "Buddhist."

As if I am trying to prove to myself and others that I am indeed a valid "Buddhist" (Whatever a "Buddhist" is anyway). In the beginning I was fascinated with Buddhism and saw it as an "exotic" religion. I quickly, however, had to realize that Buddhism is much more then just wearing a mala, chanting some mantras and burning incense. At the same time, however, I had to realize that is was nothing special and quite simple.

This was finding the middle way. I crashed through the forests of "spiritual materialism" for awhile and then crossed the stream to crash through the forests of nihilism before I finally just sat down in the middle of the stream, relaxed and let the current take me along.

I still struggle with falling into extremes but I am trying to spend more time now just breathing and being at one with change. Riding the waves of existence and clinging to nothing.

P.S.~I am slowly wading through a "book" ironically about "spiritual materialism" but it is excellent. It is Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

-Peace to us all-

No comments:

Post a Comment