Monday, May 23, 2005

Happiness

Went to Sangha yesterday and it was nice as usual but it was very H O T!! (It's been close to 90 degrees here the last few days). Anyway, I thought since we meet in the basement that it would be cool so I wore my pants. Well, it was sweltering but I used it during meditation as a reminder of the impermanence of the body.

Anyway, during walking meditation I noticed these framed sayings of Thich Nhat Hanh around the room. There is one that really struck me more then the others and I want to share it with you today:

There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.

This thought penetrated my heart as I meditated on it and realized just how true this statement is for us. We will never achieve true happiness so long as we fight for it. When we let go, however, and allow happiness to come into our lives then we are truely on the right path. At least that has been my interpretation of it.

-Peace to us all-

No comments:

Post a Comment