Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Present Tense

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn't more complicated that that. It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

-Author Unknown

This quote couldn't have come a better time. Lately I have been having a difficult time being a "formal Buddhist." I haven't "officially" been meditating everyday but I have been living in mindful awareness of the present tense. I am riding the crest of the wave to stay in the present moment, "pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it." I think that often we cling to the structures of Buddhism including: formal meditation, koans and other forms of spiritual materialism instead of just living, breathing and observing. I think that it is more important to live life for each moment then to be the "best Buddhist." Because in the end "Buddhist" is just another hollow attachment.

-Peace to us all-

No comments:

Post a Comment