Saturday, July 7, 2007

Live Earth

It being Live Earth day today, I'm content to hold my fire until tomorrow. I do have something I need to say. I just saw Michael Moore's "Sicko" last night, and I'm not going to let it pass without comment. Meantime, I leave it to the musicians. I hope you're listening, wherever you are. I've noticed there are more and more people throughout the world checking in to The Buddha Diaries, and that's a heartening thought. My ambition would be for us all to be talking to each other in the interest of our common good and our common survival, and I know that the Internet is facilitating that possibility. As for Live Earth, I can only hope that it leads to something much bigger than itself--not just a day when famous entertainers of good heart and good intention gather globally to draw attention to a "problem." What we need, of course, is nothing less than a radical change in the way we humans go about our lives. And that change, as I see it, is going to demand an awful lot of sacrifice. Are we up for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment