Monday, July 16, 2007

Troy Anthony Davis: the Death Penalty

I had heard only passingly of the plight of Troy Anthony Davis before reading the article about his impending execution in the state of Georgia, now scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday. I hope that you’ll join me in adding your name to this petition to spare his life.

It’s not only as a believer in the Buddhist teaching that no one has the right to take a life that I oppose the death penalty. I also believe that the law is inequitably administered, that the poor and otherwise disadvantaged are far more likely to be “legally” terminated than the wealthy, and blacks far more likely than whites. I believe our police and trial system to be fallible, and that even eye-witnesses are known to be in error about what they believe they have seen. I believe, indeed, that every one of us humans is fallible, susceptible to base, irrational prejudices and emotional responses. And lastly, I can believe in no punishment from which there is no possible reprieve. It's particularly egregious that the Supreme Court of the State of Georgia rejected Davis's final appeal on the basis of a legal technicality.

I know little about Troy Anthony Davis besides what I have now read on the website devoted to his cause, but no human being should be “put to death”, especially on the basis of clearly unreliable and subsequently recanted evidence. An arbitrary and unresponsive legal system has clearly failed this man, who has now been held in jail for seventeen years. It would leave yet another terrible—and regrettably well-deserved--stain on the international reputation of this country were the state of Georgia to carry through with its thus far implacable intention to take his life in the name of justice.

Please hit the comment button below to let me know if you agree with me on the subject of the death penalty. And, if you do, please join me in registering some signal of your outrage at the petition site.

No comments:

Post a Comment